Job Position: Communications Associate
Job Status: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Compensation: Hourly based on skills and experience
Benefits: Includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) with employer match, paid holidays, vacation, and sick time
- Reports To: Development and Operations Director
- Coordinates With: Executive Director, Development and Operations Director, Conservation Director
- Employees Directly Supervised: N/A
- Other: Works with employees, board members, Trustee Council members, media, area business leaders, consultants, foundations, contractors, and the general public
California Farmland Trust seeks an energetic, versatile communications professional to join our team. The Communications Associate is responsible for coordinating the organization’s internal and external communication and outreach activities to maximize exposure in target markets. The individual manages the implementation of such strategies by assisting with external outreach, web content and exposure, social media communications, videos and other creative services. The position works closely with the organization’s communication and fund development staff to educate community members, policy makers, and stakeholders in support of the California Farmland Trust’s mission. This full-time position will work at the California Farmland Trust in Elk Grove, CA, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Develop a robust social media strategy and manage the California Farmland Trust’s social media pages. Monitor social media analytics to optimize social media reach and engagement;
- Conduct interviews with landowners, donors, and stakeholders to develop feature articles and video content showcasing the work of the California Farmland Trust for Legacy newsletters, eNews, blogs, other media outlets.
- Coordinate and facilitate desired press exposure with state, regional, and local media including agriculture trade entities, conservation agencies and groups, broader agricultural industry, defined targeted constituents, and affinity groups;
- Assist in the development of external messaging to ensure consistency, accuracy, and alignment with long term branding, fundraising needs, and the organization’s mission;
- Support the fundraising, communications, community engagement efforts through regular reviewing and reporting on user engagement analytics and digital fundraising campaigns;
- Serve as one of CFT’s primary copy editors for internal and external communications;
- Develop digital media strategies to reach new and existing audiences;
- Manage digital asset library, including media, photos, videos, maps, stats, and other data;
- Serve as the lead planner of in-person and virtual communications outreach events;
- Work collaboratively with conservation staff to ensure timely coverage of appropriate conservation activities;
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic, culture, and values to create a positive work environment and sense of California Farmland Trust purpose.
- Other duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, public relations, marketing, or business.
- A two-year degree with commensurate experience, preferably with a nonprofit organization, may substitute
Knowledge and Ability Requirements
- General agriculture industry knowledge
- Ability to write clear, concise articles, following AP Style guidelines, and speak in a convincing and articulate manner
- Proficient photographer with good use of this product to meet defined needs
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office Suite including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premier, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Effective time management skills
- Effective planning and organizational skills
- Organized and proficient project manager and art director
- Event programming experience desired
- Flexible and agile in response to changing priorities
- High energy while focused on successful end product and maintaining a sense of humor
- Ability to travel in state and some weekends as needed
- Professional and positive with strong degree of tact and diplomacy
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to email@example.com. Materials must be received by April 16, 2021. No phone calls, no walk-ins, no recruiters.
CFT is an equal-opportunity employer.
Communications Association Position PDF