Summary: (adapted from mybakingaddiction.com) submitted by Monica Bianchi.
- 5 to 6 cups fresh Linden Bing cherries, about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cherries, water, lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in almond extract.
- Cool slightly before using as a topping.
- Refrigerate leftover fresh cherry pie filling in a sealed container for up to 2 days.