- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 6 cups butternut squash, cubed and steamed (about two squash)
- 2 quarts (64 oz.) chicken broth
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- Preparing squash: Poke rind 5-6 times with small, sharp knife around squash. Microwave 4-6 minutes, prior to slicing, to soften. Will slice much easier! Slice squash into 4 quarters; remove seeds. Place face down in ¼ inch water in glass baking dish and bake at 375 degrees, 25-30 minutes, until tender. Scoop out squash, discarding rind.
- In 6 qt. stockpot, sauté onion in butter. Add steamed squash; stir. Add broth and spices. Bring to low boil. Reduce to simmer, 30 minutes. Meanwhile, set cream cheese out to soften. Cut into 1” cubes. Blend soup mixture with immersion blender, adding cream cheese prior to blending. Reheat on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with croutons, if desired
Excellent with crusty Artisan bread and crisp salad
Soup can be prepared in advance and refrigerated; gives chance for flavors to blend. Reheat, on low heat, prior to serving. Soup may also be frozen.
Precut, fresh butternut squash is sometimes available at Costco during the fall season